9.29.2004

Another Ten Things I Know I Think

1. I know I think that "Vertigo", the first single from U2’s upcoming CD How to Dismantle An Atomic Bomb is everything R.E.M.’s new stuff isn’t. It rocks, it’s fun (right from the uno dos tres catorce count-off), and it’s completely different from anything they’ve done before. Someone should send Michael Stipe a copy.

2. I know I think I beat Woody Allen to the punch. In this interview, he sounds like he read my Michael Moore post. He says:
Michael Moore delivered a powerful and successful piece of documentary with Fahrenheit 9/11. But the problem is that most of the people who liked it were people who thought like him. Me for example. But, even Moore didn't manage to influence the other side.
Not that I was the first person to ever think that.

3. I know I think that now that the Expos are moving to Washington they have to call themselves the Senators, and I know they won’t. I also think they should follow the Patriots and go with a red white & blue color scheme. This is a no brainer, but they probably won’t do this either since every new uniform seems to have to have black in it somewhere.

4. I know I think a great injustice has been done. The MacArthur Genius Grant winners have been selected and, once again, I wasn’t even nominated. Winners include a ragtime pianist, a high school debating coach, and a molecular biologist. Yeah, like a molecular biologist is smarter than me.

5. I know I think that it’s hilarious that Dubba’s hometown paper, the Lone Star Iconoclast, has endorsed Kerry. As much as the Boston Globe has criticized Kerry, I doubt they will reciprocate.

6. I know I think that people can crack on Cat Stevens’ music all they like; I still dig "Here Comes My Baby". (You might not want to click on that CatStevens.com link if you plan on flying anytime soon. You don't want that in your Patriot Act file).

7. I know that there is nothing cooler than having Norm Abrams show up at your work.

8. I know I think that the Thrill’s "Whatever Happened to Corey Hiam?" might end up my generation's “Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio?” and that’s pretty sad.

9. I know I think that the presidential debates shouldn’t be called debates if there are no rebuttals and no candidate-to-candidate questions. As NPR’s Connie Rice (not to be confused with the evil Condi Rice) puts it: that’s not a debate, that’s a news conference. Bush wanted this, and Kerry has to be ready for it. He can’t go into it like it’s actually going to be a debate.

10. I know I think that the world really really really doesn’t need a Barenaked Ladies Variety Show.

6 Comments:

At 1:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger Mark said...

You're forgetting that I know EVERYTHING. And I have an opinion on EVERYTHING. You of all people should know this.

 
At 2:07 PM, Blogger The Art of Rory said...

The new U2 single is, I agree, a fine, fine record, but I'm also enjoying the new R.E.M. stuff, too. It's atmospheric and lyrical and kind of pleasantly spare. I'm looking forward to both bands' albums.

 
At 2:43 PM, Blogger Mark said...

Yeah, the REM album isn't bad, but they've done atmospheric and spare already. I'm not saying they have to sound like Document, I was just hoping for a strong "we're back" kind of single.

 
At 8:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So this is the first 30 things that you know you think. This could go on forever.
Donna

 
At 10:00 PM, Blogger Mark said...

That's right!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home