10.29.2004

A Curt Blow-off

I thought he *wasn't* appearing with bush.

Curt Schilling's political career seems to have ended before it even started. On Wednesday's Good Morning America Schilling praised Dubba, told everybody to vote for Dubba, and later said he would welcome campaigning for Dubba. This all from a guy who, according to John Kruk, "wants to walk down the streets of Boston and be praised by every single human being that's ever lived in Boston."

Schilling has apparently now decided that, World Series win or not, campaigning against the hometown candidate might not be the best way to achieve that goal. A day after visiting Mickey Mouse, Schilling blew-off the Leader of the Free World.
"I am now not medically cleared to do anything until I see Doc on Sunday, so I cannot travel with President Bush."
Perhaps realizing that he was contradicting his "play through the pain" legacy, and that he would look silly meeting with Mickey and not Goofy George, Schilling later came clean:
"Speaking as I did the other day was wrong. While I hope to see him re-elected, it's not my place, nor the time for me to offer up my political opinions unsolicited. I am proud we have the right to vote, and the message I wanted to send but didn't, was that regardless of who you are voting for the bottom line is that you MUST vote."
Oh, so that's what you meant when you told GMA, "Vote Bush next week."

Update: I'm trying to find out if Schilling was still at DisneyWorld when he said "until I see Doc." I hope he knows that Disney's Doc isn't really a doctor.
doc.

5 Comments:

At 5:34 PM, Blogger Mark said...

That's a little harsh. I'm willing to forgive him if he wants to pitch for the Phils.

 
At 5:57 PM, Blogger Buckaroo Banzai said...

Wow. You two are unbelievable! It's okay for Bruce Springsteen and REM to stump for Kerry, but when someone dares to stump for the President, he's an idiot? Hypocrites.

 
At 6:50 PM, Blogger Mark said...

I didn't call him an idiot, and I don't have a problem with him being for Bush (I'm not happy about it, but he WOULD lose his tax cut under Kerry, so I can understand it). I just thought it was funny that he tried using his foot injury as an excuse to backtrack when he pitched two games and went to Disney World with the same injury.

The missus, on the onther hand, has never really cared for any of Curt's opinions.

 
At 6:00 PM, Blogger Buckaroo Banzai said...

Foreign Policy: I love Bush's foreign policy. Whatever you think of the war in Iraq, its citizens (like those in Afghanistan) are about to have free elections for the first time ever. We are still uncovering mass graves left behind by Huseein. After 9/11, Bush sent troops into Afghanistan immediately. Kerry wants a "world test." Please.

Abortion: Bush is against partial-birth abortions. That's where the infant is taken from the womb feet first up to the head, then killed. As a father, that disgusts me. Kerry voted for this procedure every time it hit the Senate floor.

Death Penalty: Bush is fot it. So am I. Argue all you want about its deterrence factor, but it's better than the taxpayers funding their food, education, and such for life. In ten years as a Philly cop, I have seen a few people whose actions warranted this punishment - like the guy LAST NIGHT who shot a man in the NE because he thought he was a cop. Anyone who thinks they are killing a cop (and make that attempt) are a greater danger to the public. Kerry only wants this option for terrorists - as if some of these scumbags here at home aren't considered as such.

Armed Forces: The reason that 75% are going to vote to re-elect (according to the latest Zogby poll) is because they trust his judgement and feel he will be a better CIC. I respect their opinion. Bush never claimed soldiers were "war criminals" as Kerry did in 1971. Kerry is an admitted war criminal. Why not vote for Caeucescu? Also, Kerry voted AGAINST body armor for the troops last Spring.

Stem Cell Research: Bush is against GOVERNMENT FUNDING for the project. The research is actually going on right now, and the first President to allow such procedures is G.W. (Look it up.) Kerry wants to expand the research, and have US pay for it.

Taxes: Kerry will raise them. Count on it. The Bush tax cuts were welcome in my household. Claim a wrecked economy if you want, but we (you and I) seem to be doing okay. Houses in nice areas, computer access, and good jobs. You and I aren't exactly hurting under the current administration. Whine about "tax cuts for the rich," but why should businesses be penalized for their success? The rich pay the most taxes as a rule, so naturally, they will get more froma tax cut. If I work my arse off all my life, why should I be slammed with higher taxes? Not fair.

I realize that the next couple of comments will be arguments against every one of my points, and that's fine. I am not going to fight with you - I just wanted to answer your question. On top of all this, I have seen firsthand what the Democrats have done to my city and my state. For the record, I voted for Clinton (you know, that guy who perjured himself under oath)in '92, and would have considered Dean this year - if he didn't yell in Iowa he would have been the contender. Kerry won that by default. Whomever wins on Tuesday, I will be happy: I am rooting for Bush, but if Kerry gets in, that means Hillary will be out of contention in '08. Sweet!

 
At 9:22 AM, Blogger Mark said...

Don't you two have your own blogs?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home