10.20.2004

Shakin' Shakin' Shakes

Take a look at my Bonus Photo

how ya doin'

This post is really just an excuse to link to a "bonus" photo on my photoblog, but is there a stupider sports debate out there than whether or not baseball players should shake hands at the conclusion of a championship series?

The Dodgers started this after they lost to the Cardinals, and now others are asking if it should continue. For it are Craig Biggio and Tony La Russa. Against it are Nolan Ryan and Bob Watson, MLB VP of On-Field Operations.

This is a rare win-win situation. MLB and the Players have a chance to improve their image for free. Nobody is forcing the players to do it. Hockey does it (when they're playing). Kids do it after all their sports, even the Little League games. Even Bush and Kerry did it after their debates. I don't buy Ryan's "the style of pitcher I was, I don't think I'd feel comfortable doing that" argument. If Tie Domi and Matthew Barnaby can offer a hand after each of their games, players in the "style" (read "jerk") of Ryan (I'm looking at you Rocket) can after a series.

Give me a break.

1 Comments:

At 6:55 AM, Blogger Buckaroo Banzai said...

My team does it after every game (I coach high school lacrosse) and we enjoy it. Every now and then you get a knucklehead (read: Rocket) who walks by without a word, but for the most part, I think it's a good habit to get in to, since sportsmanship has gone out of style (read: NBA).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home