10.20.2004

Sultan of Swat

Take a look at my Daily Photo

not the most macho move

"It don't matter if I get a little tired, I'll sleep when I'm dead" - Warren Zevon, "I'll Sleep When I'm Dead"

"Where's that %*^&#^$ snooze button?" - The Accidental Blogist, 6:00 AM

Oh, I've caught a bad case of Baseball Fever. Symptoms include lack of sleep, anxiousness, and sudden belief in the miraculous power of prayer. I'll save all the poetic waxing for those sportswriters who (whom?) get paid to do it. [I can't believe the Inky didn't go with Bill Lyon this morning. I know exactly how he would start his column: "Last night in the Empire City, Curtis Montague Schilling..." The man must have a database of players' middle names.]

You know it's a big game when the missus gets interested. Her question this morning: How much credit should Terry Francona get if the Sox make it to the World Series? He's definitely a more seasoned coach than when he was with the Phillies, but the Boston players seem like they could run the team themselves, like the Bad News Bears in Breaking Training.

I'm happy with Lowe vs. Brown, as long as Wakefield is ready to take over (with a catcher who can handle knuckleballs) and Arroyo is right there in case Wake's aim is off (don't give him too much rope, Tito). And since Clemens isn't in pinstripes any more, Brown's the pitcher I most would most like to see come out the goat. Clemen's chance to be the goat will come tomorrow.

I understand the Astros pitching Pete Munro and saving Clemens. But I wonder if they're really saving the Rocket for game 7, or already looking past the Cards and hoping to have a rested Clemens and Oswalt to pitch 1-2 against the beat-up winner of the ACLS. I think I would pitch Clemens tonight and Oswalt in game 7 if necessary. As Red Sox and Yankee fans already know, Clemens has never won more than one start in a playoff series. And if he did win, Houston would still have Oswald and Munro 1-2 in the Series. This all won't matter if the Cards come back like I still think they will.

Oh, I've got to go lie down, but first I'll say some prayers.

P.S. If you don't like it when politics and baseball mix, root against a Boston/Houston World Series. It would be played the week leading into election day.

5 Comments:

At 1:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

AROD WAS SAFE AND JETER SCORED, CRY BABY BOSOX

 
At 1:25 PM, Blogger The Art of Rory said...

Is there a better scene in any sports movie than William Devane standing in the middle of the Astrodome shouting, "Let them play"?

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger Mark said...

Anonymous - A-Rod was about as safe as Ortiz was out when he was "caught" stealing the night before - 0%. I think it's funny that the high-and-mighty Yankees had to resort a cheap (and way too obvious) play to score.

Tom - That line might be second only to Roy Hobbs saying "Pick me out a winner Bobby." Gets me every time.

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger Mark said...

Dee - Hey, shut... [Deep Breath]... Look, I was barely awake at breakfast. You expect me to remember word for word what was said? All I remember is you talking about Francona and asking me if "that hotty Von Hayes" was still playing. Again, I was out of it, so I might be wrong about that Von Hayes thing. It my have been "that hotty Charlie Hayes".

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger Mark said...

Hey! I just realized you read a sports-related post of mine! What's next, reading my book reviews?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home