11.03.2004

The Day After

Take a look at my Daily Photo

four more years

All right, let’s get this over with. Obviously, just like everyone else, I didn’t expect to wake up to four more years of this. I think the election came down to being a referendum on the Iraqi war, and the Democrats didn’t stand a chance in a country that overwhelmingly still thinks Iraq had more to do with 9/11 than Saudi Arabia did.

If there is any good that can be taken away from this, it’s that I still live in a progressive state and work in a progressive city. I’m also grateful that my sons are still too young to be called up to fight in the next contrived war. I’m proud that I helped organizations like MoveOn and Vote for Change show the world that not everyone here buys the president’s lies. And I’m proud that I participated in this election more than any other election. I plan on continuing to work to make sure America does not become what George Bush and Dick Cheney and Alan Keyes and Ollie North and the rest of them want it to become, an aristocratic theocracy.

I know that a lot of good people voted for Bush for no other reason than that they honestly believed that he was best for America. I sure as hell hope they’re right, but I really doubt it. More of the same is not what this country needs right now.

I’m not so bitter that I can’t congratulate the winners. So congratulations Big Business. Congratulations HMOs. Congratulations Teacher Haters. Congratulations Homophobes. Congratulations Enron Defendants. Congratulations Warmongers. Congratulations Offshore Companies. Congratulations Big Oil. Congratulations Standardized Test Makers. Congratulations Defense Industry. Congratulations Anti-environmentalist. Congratulations Pat Robertson. Congratulations Halliburton. Congratulations Drug Companies. Congratulations Polluters. Congratulations Body Bag Manufactures. Congratulations Civil Liberty Haters. Congratulations Energy Companies. Congratulations Bill O’Reilly. Congratulations Saudi Arabia. And big congratulations to Osama Bin Laden, you keep sending those tapes and we’ll keep creating you more recruits.

3 Comments:

At 11:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark, What do you think was Kerry's biggest mistake. I personaly think he really didn't step up to bat until the first debate. I had a 70 year old customer tell me that a person is not really a Christian if one voted for Kerry. And all I could say was 'I don't think that's true' because I can't get into an argument with a customer. Ann

 
At 11:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger Mark said...

I agree with Slate's William Saletan, the Dems need someone who can get their message across in simple terms (dumbing down). He thinks Edwards is the man. I think that Kerry did very well compared to when Bob Dole tried to unseat Clinton. Dole and Kerry have very similar histories & styles and faced similar situations, and where Dole got creamed, Kerry almost won. I think that says more about the anti-Bush vote than the Pro-Kerry vote. I think Kerry would have done better with a VP candidate from the midwest. I think MoveOn did the best they could with what they were given. I hope they continue.

Here's the Slate link:

http://slate.msn.com/id/2109079/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home