11.04.2004

He's Gotta Watch It

Take a look at my Daily Photo

its gotta be the shoes

I'm feeling pretty good about my masculinity today, now that I found out that I've only seen 18 percent of Oprah's "50 Greatest Chick Flicks of All Time".

Here are the nine I've seen (with O's ranking):

Three I actually liked:

1. Thelma & Louise (15): Definitely a flick chick, but pretty action-packed for a flick chick. I wonder if they ever made it across that canyon?

Great Line: "Go."

2. Bull Durham (24): Is this a baseball movie that uses the romance to get girls to see it, or a chick flick that uses baseball to get guys to see it? I don't know, but the baseball side is strong enough for me to still like it.

Great Line: "You guys. You lollygag the ball around the infield. You lollygag your way down to first. You lollygag in and out of the dugout. You know what that makes you? Larry! (Lollygaggers!) Lollygaggers."

3. She's Gotta Have It (31): Spike Lee before his head grew to the size of all Manhattan. How can't you like Mars Blackmon?

Great Line: "Please baby, pleasebaby, please baby, baby baby please!"

Three that were okay:

1. Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore (13): Can't say I remember a lot from this movie, but I know I saw it and I know I'm not embarrassed to admit it, so it couldn't have been all that bad. Might have had something to do with it being directed by Scorsese.

Great Line: ??? (I can only think of "Pickup, Dingy!" but I'm pretty sure that was just on the TV show Alice)

2. Four Weddings and a Funeral (34): Not the greatest movie ever, but okay for what it is. Luckily it came out before Hugh Grant got really annoying. Unfortunately, Andie MacDowell is always annoying.

Great Line: "I was a lesbian once at school, but only for about fifteen minutes."

3. The Virgin Suicides (45): A very strange movie, but watchable (how's that for a rousing recommendation). Very Artsy-fartsy. Stars Kirsten Dunst, so it's got that goin' for it, which is nice.

Great Line: "Those girls have a bright future ahead of them. The other one was just going to end up a kook."

Three that seemed like good ideas at the time, now not so much:

1. Desperately Seeking Susan (8): I actually saw this in high school with my friends as a "guy's night out." As if there were girls lining up to see movies with us. I guess Madonna's looks at the time was what got us into the theatre, although I vaguely remember really liking "Into the Groove".

Great Line: None.

2. The Truth About Cats & Dogs (9): As funny as Janeane Garofalo was on the Ben Stiller Show and the Larry Sanders Show, she's just not made for the big screen.

Great Line: Absolutely none.

3. Pretty Woman (25): Definitely the worst of this batch. Horrible, horrible movie. Think of how many Richard Gere movies could be described that way.

Great line: Positively, absolutely none.

Movies on Oprah's list that I would admit to seeing (if I had actually seen them): Notorious (3), The French Lieutenant's Woman (4), High Society (38), Laurel Canyon (47), Rabbit-Proof Fence (48) .


4 Comments:

At 9:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was never a fan of Janeane Garofalo. In fact, I had to recheck your entry about 6 times before I spelled her name correctly. The woman always bothered me, not sure why I even watched the movie. Now not only does she bother me, but after seeing a certain scene, she completely gives me the heebie jeebies, to boot.
My favorite chick flicks are probably "Steel Magnolias", "Terms of Endearment" and "A League of their Own". All great movies.
Donna

 
At 12:21 PM, Blogger Mark said...

Thanks a lot. I had somehow forgotten that scene until now.

 
At 9:36 PM, Blogger Brian said...

Good stuff. I linked you on my site at www.regularguycolumn.com/portal. Come check me out.

brian

 
At 10:50 PM, Blogger Mark said...

Cool! Thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home