11.01.2004

Map the Vote!

Take a look at my Daily Photo

don't ask me where this is

It's not often that my chosen field, Geographic Information Systems (GIS), is involved in anything even remotely cool. I know what you're thinking, but cartographers are so hip. Believe me I'm as perplexed by this paradox as anyone. Anyway, this is kind of cool: on election day CBS will use GIS, specifically the program I use - ESRI ArcMap, throughout their coverage. According to the ESRI press release, CBS will use ArcMap for maps showing up-to-the-minute county-level results, maps showing results in 3D, maps showing detailed demographics, and much, much more.

Exciting stuff, huh? Well, exciting for an industry whose last thrilling news was Mapquest.

By the way, mark your calender, GIS Day is November 17.

5 Comments:

At 10:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Judging by how we all wait with anticipation of each and every new GIS ancedote, you know how excited we all are lol.

So, you guys developed MapQuest? Why aren't you fabulously rich handing out huge checks to your extended family each Christmas??

Donna

 
At 11:38 AM, Blogger Mark said...

When was the last time you paid money to use MapQuest?

 
At 12:04 PM, Blogger Mark said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger Mark said...

BTW, if I DID create a MapQuest-like site it would be called "Long Cut" and it's slogan would come from one of my favorite Uncle Tupelo lyrics (The wife and sons seem to think this is how I approach every trip).

Come on let's take the long cut
I think that's what we need
If you wanna take the long cut
We'll get there eventually

 
At 12:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't pay to use Google either, those guys arent doing bad. And hey, how about those guys behind JibJab.com??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home