12.13.2004

Accountability Unpayable

Take a look at my Daily Photo

click to enlarge

I'm still getting over a 24-hour (I hope!) stomach virus. I'm up to Gatorade and toast with a light spread of lingonberry preserves (how pretentious is that?). I don't feel much like thinking up a post today, so once again I'll hand it over to Harry Shearer, from his le Blast newsletter. This goes out to the missus and all the other teachers caught up in NCLB:
We now know what George W. Bush means by "accountability": we'll be stern as hell if teachers don't get their kids to pass a bunch of tests, but if a secretary of defense advocates a war of choice, and further advocates fighting it on the cheap with too few troops and too few supplies ("we go to war with the Army we have", he said this week), and further totally miscalculates the post-war situation, we ask him to re-up for another four years. To revive a question Republicans used to ask about a certain Clintonian imbroglio: what kind of signal does this send to our children?
I took the above picture November 3rd (a very sad day in Philly) just off Washington Square.

3 Comments:

At 12:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark, I hope you are feeling better. Ann

 
At 12:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

great shot man. feel better!

dragonballyee.com

 
At 10:55 PM, Blogger eRobin said...

Excellent use of Shearer. We on the left don't cite him enough.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home