12.15.2004

Reindeer Tracks

Take a look at my Daily Photo

it's a big door

I took a personal day today for my annual Christmas Cookie Baking Blowout. So far it’s twelve dozen down, about six dozen to go. So real quick, off the top of my flour-dusted head, here are the best Christmas songs to originate on non-Christmas albums:

1. "Fairytale of New York" – The Pogues (with Kirsty MacColl), from If I Should Fall From Grace With God

2. "Cry of a Tiny Babe" – Bruce Cockburn, from Nothing But a Burning Light

3. "River" – Joni Mitchell, from Blue

4. "Merry Christmas from the Family" – Robert Earl Keen, from Gringo Honeymoon

5. "Santa’s Beard" – They Might Be Giants, from Lincoln

6. "2000 Miles" – The Pretenders, from Learning To Crawl

Honorable Mention to the Waitresses’ "Christmas Wrapping", originally released on the I Could Rule the World If I Could Only Get the Parts EP (which was little more than an excuse to put that song and the theme song to Square Pegs on vinyl).

Above picture is of the front door of St. Peter's Church in Society Hill.

Back to the kitchen.

Update (12.16.04): I cannot believe I forgot "Jesus Christ" by Big Star, from Third/Sister Lovers, only one of my all-time favorite albums. I would rank the song third on this list. I also forgot "Merry Christmas, Emily" by Cracker, from Forever. I can be forgiven for not remembering that, it's really not that memorable. Let's put that last on this list.


2 Comments:

At 4:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent, excellent reference to "Fairytale of New York," Mark. Anyone who gives props to the criminally underrated Kirsty MacColl is beyond okay in my book. What a tragic loss a few years ago.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays,
Tom

 
At 10:53 PM, Blogger eRobin said...

My favorite Christmas reference in a non-Christmas song is from Everything But the Girl in Baby, Come Home. "Every day is like Christmas day without you. It's cold and there's nothing to do."

I'm glad to see you mention the Proclaimers - love that album.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home