12.09.2004

Seeing the Lights

Take a look at my Daily Photo



I met a German girl in England who was goin’ to school in France – Chuck Berry, "It Wasn’t Me"

The missus was unpacking my two-year-old son’s backpack that he uses for nursery school and pulled out a picture of a menorah that he colored. She asked him if he was learning about Hanukkah at school. Umm… yeah! (Yeah is always preceded by umm). So the missus next asks if he knows what Hanukkah is. Umm...Yeah, eight days.

Cute story, but what’s really cool is that a local Lutheran church runs my son’s nursery school. In this age where religion is such a politicized topic that major networks won’t run an ad by the United Church of Christ, who just wants to make it clear that - like Jesus said - all should be welcome at church (because it’s message is too controversial), my 32-month-old Roman Catholic son is learning Jewish traditions from a Lutheran teacher. Just another reason why we love our son’s nursery school.

Happy Hanukkah everyone!

4 Comments:

At 11:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:54 PM, Blogger Mark said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark, [your son] is 31 months. But I'm still inpressed. Now this Roman Catholic child can tell his Presbyterian cousins everything he learned in his Luthern pre-school about Hanukkah. Ann

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger eRobin said...

It's a big deal too. I learned everything I know about Jewish traditions in school - from my teachers and from my Jewish friends. I took it in stride until I moved to PA and there were so many people who had not the first clue about Jewish customs. I'm so glad I do.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home